As many of you were aware, we had our monthly Subcontractor's Q&A call with Danielle Cuomo last night.
Our questions were focused on "Why selling yourself and communication is so important as a subcontractor " A brief summary of the questions asked were:
- Clarify the definition of niche and expertise for a subcontractor? What are the differences?
- While working on a project is it necessary to stay consistant with communication tools like email, phone, IM , project mgt software or documents?
- Do you have specific communication and project management software preferences?
- If a subcontractor hits a roadblock while working on a project how do you suggest letting the contractor know, without them losing faith in you?
- Is it proper to ask the contractor's budget or time frame expected on a project?
- How often should you communicate with a project manager or contractor? Weekly, daily or monthly?
- Are there skill sets that are really difficult to find subcontractors for?
- How does a sub contractor market himself/herself, if he/she has a specialized niche like real estate/web designing, etc ?
- Any do's/dont's for subcontractor's while marketing their skills/expertise?
- Should subcontractors use social networks to promote themselves and what groups should they join?
Each month an advisor of a multi-VA firm or someone who has hired subcontractors will be available to answer questions on a topic of their choice. Please remember, to get a free copy of the recording you must register for the event that is found on my site. http://softwaresavvysub.info/subcontractors If you join my list you will be notified when the call is open for registration.
Both contractors and subcontractors will benefit listening to the call. It's a great way to network. You can get answers to questions you've always been curious about to start subcontracting or hire a subcontractor yourself.